Skip to main content

Featured

The Ferryman by Justin Cronin

The Ferryman by Justin Cronin Genre: Dystopian / Science Fiction Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Very few books get 5 stars from me! What in gods earth did I just read. Review: It may be a long read, but I guarantee you’ll want to slowly devour each chapter until your brain melts! Like many other readers, I fell in love with Cronin reading his Passage trilogy. His style of character development, world-building, and introspective analysis of the internal and external issues issue humanity faces is simply beautiful. Whether you love science fiction or not, this book will not disappoint. This is a fantastic story, delving into the topics of love, loss, hope, deception, corruption, determination and sacrifice. Few books leave a permanent mark, and this is one that surely will! Thank you to NetGalley for my advanced reader copy. Synopsis: Founded by the mysterious genius known as the Designer, the archipelago of Prospera lies hidden from the horrors of a deteriorating outside world. In thi

The Mistress Next Door by Lesley Sanderson

The Mistress Next Door by Lesley Sanderson

Publication date: 15th Feb 2023

Genre: Domestic Suspense

Rating: ⭐️⭐️ 2.5 stars rounded down

Audiobook


Review:

So far as slow-burn domestic suspense books, it wasn't the worst I’ve read.

There were a few unbelievable parts, in-particular Harriet putting on a fabulous spread for her book club after acknowledging that her husband’s mistress might well be there!

Points for hiding the actual ‘villains’ whilst still giving us just enough to want to find out the conclusion.The narrator did a reasonably good job, but I found it hard to get a feel for the myriad of characters.

The voices blurred into one and all of the female and male characters, respectively, blurred into one gender stereotype, not to mention the creepy voices of the children.

I think the audiobook helped, as I was on a few long commutes, unable to grab my phone and put something better on. I get the feeling if I had read the book, it would most likely have gone to DNF about 60% of the way through.


Thank you to NetGalley for my advanced reader copy in return for a fair and honest review.


Synopsis:

Between life and death there is a library, and within that library, the shelves go on forever. Every book provides a chance to try another life you could have lived. To see how things would be if you had made other choices . . . Would you have done anything different, if you had the chance to undo your regrets? A novel about all the choices that go into a life well lived.

I know what you did. You destroyed my life. Now I’m going to take everything from you, starting with your husband. I’m your worst nightmare, and I’m closer than you think.

Oliver, my husband and the father of our three little girls, used to be my rock. But recently he’s been behaving strangely, staying out late, working weekends and emotionally absent even when home. Now as I clutch a receipt for a hotel room and champagne for two, hidden away in his coat pocket, I’m devastated. What else can I assume other than he’s cheating?

I’ve risked everything for the life I have now, a life that’s a million miles from… before. Not that Oliver would know anything about that. I would do anything to hold on to the perfect future I so dearly long for. A future that is now about to come crashing down.

Because Oliver’s cheating isn’t the only threat to my family. This morning I received an anonymous note. One that changes everything. The past isn’t just haunting me, it’s coming back to destroy me. It seems that someone in our close-knit community of Prospect Close knows my secret. Someone who’s willing to do whatever it takes to get their revenge. They’ve already stolen my husband. How much further will they go? And what can I do to stop them…?



Comments

Popular Posts