Skip to main content

Featured

The Ferryman by Justin Cronin

The Ferryman by Justin Cronin Genre: Dystopian / Science Fiction Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Very few books get 5 stars from me! What in gods earth did I just read. Review: It may be a long read, but I guarantee you’ll want to slowly devour each chapter until your brain melts! Like many other readers, I fell in love with Cronin reading his Passage trilogy. His style of character development, world-building, and introspective analysis of the internal and external issues issue humanity faces is simply beautiful. Whether you love science fiction or not, this book will not disappoint. This is a fantastic story, delving into the topics of love, loss, hope, deception, corruption, determination and sacrifice. Few books leave a permanent mark, and this is one that surely will! Thank you to NetGalley for my advanced reader copy. Synopsis: Founded by the mysterious genius known as the Designer, the archipelago of Prospera lies hidden from the horrors of a deteriorating outside world. In thi

The Holiday Home by Daniel Hurst

The Holiday Home by Daniel Hurst

Publication date: 1st March 2023

Genre: suspenseful slow-burn domestic drama

Rating: ⭐️⭐️


Review:

Lacking tension and suspense

Touted as as suspenseful slow-burn domestic drama, I think I like my suspense peppered with a little more intrigue. I’ve heard great thing about Daniel Hurst, so perhaps not the best entry choice.

It kept me entertained as an easy popcorn read, but I was relieved to have finished.

The characters were bland but believable. Some parts grabbed my attention; however, for the most part, there was limited thrill.

The foreshadowing at the end of each chapter got a little tedious. The final twist felt a bit thrown in for the sake of a twist. If you’re going to play the surprise hypocrite card, then at least have the protagonist herself commit villainy disguised as justice.


Synopsis:

My best friend and her husband have invited me and my family to their lakeside property for the weekend, to experience their luxury lifestyle. I’m not envious of their wealth, although I know my husband Ryan ****is. All I want is to escape from our recent troubles and get my marriage back on track.

Then I overhear Ryan having a whispered conversation late one evening, and he says something that sends a shiver down my spine. In this beautiful paradise my whole world is turned upside down.

Just when I think things can’t get any worse, I discover a second secret. The truth is even more shocking than I imagine, and now I have no idea who to trust.


Thank you to NetGalley for my advanced reader copy in return for a fair and honest review.



Comments

Popular Posts